AFA Cup >> AFA Cup Quarter Final
AFA Cup Quarter Final Report

Old Meadonians VII 6-0 Old Actonians VII

(3-0 at half time)

AFA Junior Novets Cup Quarter Final

Riverside Lands

Saturday 27th January 2007


The dust (mushy turf) had barely settled since Timmy Mallet’s Old Meadonians had become giant killers, pumping themselves into the LOB cup quarter finals and into GPC folk law.


I’m sure the Sheppard Mallet had no problem keeping his team focused for Saturday’s West London derby, the AFA Quarter Final against current holders Old Actonians. Meads, as ever, took to the field in immaculate fashion - fully prepared and highly motivated, a trademark any Mallet outfit. Led by captain Danny “The Chiswickian Magician” Jacobs, Meads played quick, flowing football and swiftly earned midfield supremacy. Kohn, who early on appeared to be struggling with a groin injury, and even signalled to the bench to come off, was instrumental. Playing along side him was former Sheffield United midfielder Ed Haxton, imperious and dominating he mopped up and supported excellently.


Missing top striker Matty Ringadingdongpiece meant changes in attack and Davey Y assumed the role of right wing. Working tirelessly he weaved his magic, scrapped for headers and provided excellent crosses and link up play. Danny Castella Delgado Gaucho returned to the side bringing with him a delicate continental ability not always suited to the tough English game but today he created havoc down the left. Involved in much build up play Castella worked the ball excellently between Davey Y and multi million pound striker Del Boy Trotter to win the first corner.


Jacobs, who’d spotted aerial threat Mikey “The Ladies Man” Green early, whipped in a dangerous cross for the defender. Green leaped like a salmon out of fresh liquor and gave the Old A’s keeper no chance. Celebrating with his father Jerry in the crowd, Green had put Meads one up and in control. It was going to be very tough for Old A’s to get anything from the game, Mallet’s men have never lost when scoring the first goal.


Jacob’s corners were causing all sorts of problems for the Old A’s defence and it was from the captains wicked delivery that the second goal, an own goal, came. With Haxton, Kohn and Green vying for a header the ball eventually went in of an old Actonians player’s thigh and at two nil the game was firmly in Meadonian hands.


Del Boy Trotter, who was carrying a slight knock from last weekends encounter with Aloysians, looked strong and quick and showed little sign of letting the injury affect his performance. Meads controlled the game and just before the stroke of half time it was Trotter who capped the half with a stunning goal.  Receiving the ball five yards outside the box with a defender on him Dale Trotter flicked it up and volleyed it, left footed into the top right corner of the goal. The Old A’s keeper never moved. The 12 strong Old Meads 7’s fans cheered their hero Derrick and gave the team a standing ovation upon the half time whistle. 


During half time assistant manager AJ McCulloch, someone Mallet has praised highly for his work with the players, gave key tactical advice to the defence to prevent the occasional Actonians aerial threat. The next goal would be key to a comfortable win and Meads came out strong in the second half.


Several chances went begging for Meads and Actonians held no threat at all. Scripture Gums Lee, reverting to centre following a Billy Gallas like spell at left back was commanding and strong along side Green. Distributing the ball well the defence set the tone for how Meads were to play their football. It was Green who went on a trade mark burst forward before threading a defence splitting pass to Del Boy Trotter who nipped round the keeper, finishing magnificently. Meads were four up and just getting started.


Actonians made a double substitution bringing on fresh legs but the story was the same. Meads driven by commitment and passion piled on the pressure and it was from the hands of Timmy Mallet in the sticks that the fifth goal started. It was a wonderful team move and epitomised the exciting attacking football Mallet has got his men playing. Thrown to Liam “The Fisheries Commission” Fisher the ball was laid into Davey Yorath who drove inside beating several men before laying the ball square to Edward Gregory Haxton. Gregory moved it quickly to “The Aardvark” Adam Rees Dee who delightfully clipped a first time ball to Jacobs who’d broken the offside trap. Through on goal, out came the keeper, away went the ball, 5-0 and the Meads fans went crazy.


Soon after Liam “The Fisheries Commission” Fisher took it upon himself to maraud forward and deliver the pass of the game. Whipping in a delightful cross behind the Old A’s defence from deep wide on the right The Fisheries put it on a plate for Jacobs who nicked in and finished well to provide the final blow.


After the game Liam Fisher was awarded “Man of the Match”. Mikey Green who was seriously unlucky not to win the award himself was asked to present the bottle of champagne to his team mate but refused. Timmy Mallot commented “Fisher will be given the bottle next week and Green will be reprimanded according to club policy”.


Despite the success it seems there are cracks behind the scenes. Stories of board room unrest and Timmy Mallet’s battle to hold onto key players continue but on the pitch Meads are hard to beat and full of threat. Now into the semi final stages not many would back against them to go all the way.


T Lee, L Fisher, G Rowland, E Haxton, M Green, N Lee, D Yorath, R Kohn (A Goodwille – 60), A Trotter, D Jacobs, D Castella Delgado (A Rhys Dee – 55)


Goals:   Green 20

            OG 25

            Trotter 40

            Trotter 50

            Jacobs 70

            Jacobs 75

Privacy Statement :: Terms Of Use
Copyright 2006 by Great Football