LOB Cup >> LOB Cup Quarter Final
LOB Cup Quarter Final

Old Meadonians VII 4-0 Old Parmiterians V (3-0 at half time)

LOB Minor Cup Quarter Final

Riverside Lands - Saturday 3rd February 2007


It was like a glorious summers day on Riverside Lands as the only club in the region with a 100% record prepared to progress into the final four of the BIG cup. The opposition was Old Parmiterians who had travelled all the way from E17. Their journey had been poorly planned and they

arrived with barely enough time to skin a crafty reefer. Mead's, having already secured a semi-final place in the AFA cup, congregated in plenty of time and were literally itching to get back out on the field and continue their 1,260 minute glorious winning streak.  Late fitness tests caused concern with Del Boy and Private Ryan carrying battle scars from the previous 2 cup encounters. With the rigours of the season taking their toll, deepheat was the order of the day and was duly supplied by

Villas kit man Juan Pablo Rhys Dee and spread liberally over the teams tight muscles.


The teams triumph in the penalty shoot meant nothing anymore and this fact was reiterated and pressed upon the team by manager and captain singing passionately from the same song sheet. The 14 man squad was one of the strongest fielded by Meads, led by their £50m Keeper who this week

was beautifully kitted in Shilton green and still unbeaten (except for a YaYa strike and 3 penalties) since his return from injury. Tony Wallace was welcomed into the side and didn't put a foot wrong at right back more than justifying his inclusion in the starting 11 with an artful display.

Liam Fisher buoyed by his MOM performance in the 6-0 drubbing of Actonians was again massive eating up the leftwing and never allowing Palmers a sniff of the Talismans left stick. Ed Haxton and Private Ryan put in resplendent displays always one step ahead of the opposition and

combined battling performances with some deft control and crafty threaded balls. Mike Green was commanding at centre back and looked at ease with his new partner the crafty cockney Nicholas Lee. The back 5 were given a stern test by a determined Palmers side but on the rare occasion when

defensive lines were breached the reliable meads Talisman simply plucked the ball nonchalantly from the air.


It was 10 minutes into the game when Meads created their first opening and thankfully it fell to Deadly Dell one of the most clinical marksmen in the business. Sadly the keeper was quick off his line and just did enough to close the angle and the ball edged the wrong side of the

keepers left upright. This was a big let off for Palmers but only strengthened Meads belief and resolve. It was 5 minutes later when Dave Y who had been tirelessly hustling and harrying the left back clipped the ball in behind the palmers defence. Dan Jacobs got through and was one on one

with the keeper. It is situations like this that The Magician lives for and having seen Trotters effort narrowly miss the target the competitive Chiswickian, with one eye on the golden boot, dinked the ball past a despairing keeper and safely into the back of the net. It was 1-0 and

Meads were off and running.


The tempo of the game increased as Palmers endeavoured to get back into the game, prompting some smart defensive work and some tidy keeping from the Meads rear guard. Ringoldinho was omnipotent linking up the play and taking every opportunity to run at the fat lad in the palmers

defence. With Palmers pushing forward and trying to play a high line it was only a matter of time before Meads got their second goal and what a mother of a goal it was!!


The Magician was set free down the left wing and was in behind the Palmers back 4, the keeper was at his near post and with a narrow angle a crossfield ball was The Dincers only option, Davey Y playing in his preferred role on the right wing had anticipated the break and was flying

into the box and heading for the back stick. The magician saw his run and played an absolutely delightful ball over the keepers head which began dipping as it neared the far post. With Dave Y at full tilt and the ball now at waist height and needing to be hit first time, Yorath took

flight and arrowed himself headlong at the ball connecting so sweetly that he almost burst the palmers onion bag. It was a magical moment and one that had the capacity crowd on their feet. Jacques Jose was amongst the first to applaud his jubilant dad before promptly falling to sleep!


It was a hammer blow for Palmers who had no choice but to continue pressing for that elusive goal. They created a couple of good chances but they didn't seem to be getting the rub of the green and were foiled time and again by some smart work between the sticks.


With half time approaching the Mighty Meads once again broke free at the business end of the pitch and after some smart interplay between Ringaldo and Jacobs the ball was laid on to the waiting Trotter who stroked the ball into the net and swept Meads into a comfortable 3 goal lead.

Palmers were now in chaos not only back chatting each other but putting undue pressure on the ref desperately looking for an offside decision they were never going to get to stem the deficit.


At half time Alex Goodwille was introduced at right back - he had whetted his footballing appetite earlier with a refereeing appearance and was hungry for some action.


10 minutes into the second half The Magician was brutally up-ended and was carried off with what

appeared to be a career threatening injury, fortunately for Meads a ready made replacement in the shape of Dan Castella Delgado was already limbering up on the touchline. The Dincer, stretchered off to rapturous applause, is expected to miss a month of first team action. Later on Saturday night the MOM award was presented to him in hospital after what was an inspirational 55 minutes of champagne football.


Shortly afterwards and manager Tim, concerned for the injured Trotter, signalled to Del Boy that a change was imminent. Del Boy held up a cheeky couple of fingers indicating that he wasn't quite ready to take his bow. Almost immediately and as if by magic Derrick dropped deep picked up the ball and with a cheeky flick played it over the Palmers holding midfielder before heading goal-wards and teasing the central defender into a desperate challenge, Trotter was in full flow and danced his way into the mixer with the ball drawn to his magnetic boots the keeper came out to narrow the angle but was beaten by a trademark finish. Dellie was mobbed, the fourth goal had sealed victory and completed another businesslike afternoon for Trotter. He left the pitch to a standing ovation from the crowd and was replaced by Juan Pablo Rhys Dee who had unwittingly stepped into the biggest boots on the pitch.


Everyone on the Meads team wanted the ball and the team was playing with style, flair and a touch of arrogance taking on speculative shots from all over the park. Meads had a couple of minor scares as Palmers, desperate to regain some pride, pressed on only to be repelled by some smart handling by the Mighty Mallet.


Juan Pablo Rhys Dee came closest to finishing off Palmers but was devastated to see his well struck shot sail just over the bar. The game finished 4-0 to Meads and ensured 2 semi-final appearances for our West London heroes.




T Lee, T Wallace (A Goodwille – 45), L Fisher, E Haxton, M Green, N Lee, D Yorath, R Kohn, A Trotter (A Rhys Dee – 65), M Ring, D Jacobs (D Castella Delgado – 55)


Goals:       Jacobs 20

                Yorath 30

                Trotter 35

                Trotter 65

Privacy Statement :: Terms Of Use
Copyright 2006 by Great Football